Thursday, February 7, 2008

The Bell Has Tolled: RIP Romney 08



I have to say I didn't see it coming. I expected Romney, with his deep pockets, to fight on as Ron Paul will. The fact that he accepts the necessity of party unity, in the face of a Clinton or the Most Liberal Senator of 2007, in the face of possible economic crisis and in the face of a war on America, requires some respect. The fact that he doesn't continue to divide the party also garners some respect.

If Romney only had conservative credentials to back his talk, he would have made a great candidate. But he does not. Hopefully he can acquire some in the future.

NPR.org, February 7, 2008 · Mitt Romney announced he was suspending his presidential campaign on Thursday, a move that all but cedes the Republican nomination to rival John McCain.Romney — a former Massachusetts governor who spent $35 million of his own money in pursuit of the White House, as well as millions more that he raised from others — told the Conservative Political Action Conference in Washington, D.C., that dropping out was for the good of the party, which needs to unite for the general election.

"If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or (Barack) Obama would win," he said. "And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror."

Romney added that it was not an easy decision for him. "I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our sponsors … have given a great deal.""I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel that I have to stand aside, for our party, and for our country," he said.With McCain's apparently unassailable lead in the delegate count, Romney's withdrawal effectively hands the nomination to the maverick Arizona senator. Romney's departure leaves only former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee and libertarian Texas Rep. Ron Paul in the race with McCain. Neither of them comes close to the 1,191 delegates needed to secure the nomination.

Overall, McCain has 707 delegates, Romney 294 and Huckabee 195. Romney says he will hold onto the delegates he has won so far. Romney failed to win a major primary or caucus. He was successful in states he has lived in and states close by. But he failed to win over Republican evangelicals suspicious of his Mormon faith, who turned instead to Huckabee, an ordained Baptist minister. Romney was also accused of flip-flopping from relatively liberal to conservative positions. Romney often called himself the "conservative's conservative" and has frequently assailed McCain's moderate credentials. On Thursday, he gave his rival a qualified endorsement."I disagree with Sen. McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating al-Qaida and terror," he said.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18772382&ft=1&f=1001

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Consider the truth in this thought!

Romney, even after dropping out, still has a better chance at being President than some of those still in the race now! Think hard about it!

Brutus said...

Anon,

If you have an account, I suggest you use it. It's easier that way.

True he has a better chance than Paul, but he, nor Paul, will be President. It's time we accept that.

Anonymous said...

Brutus, I guess you have to be Julius Caesar, or his wife, to see the profundity in my comments. Well, let me clarify it for you: "McCain will win the nomination but he will NOT be president. Romney has opted out now, but he WILL be president!"

PS: I don't have an account but my name is Mark - Mark Anthony, that is!

Brutus said...

I assume that you're talking about a Romney ticken in 2012?